- keep (something) from happening；stop (someone) from doing something
verb: prevent, 3rd person present: prevents, gerund or present participle: preventing, past tense: prevented, past participle: prevented
- 1. keep (something) from happening action must be taken to prevent further accidents
- ▪ stop (someone) from doing something locks won't prevent a determined burglar from getting in the guards threatened to bar the gates to prevent him leaving
- 2. archaic (of God) go before (someone) with spiritual guidance and help.
- keep (something) from happening or arising: action must be taken to prevent further accidents
Oxford American Dictionary