- make (something) ready for use or action.；prepare (a firearm or explosive device) for firing or detonation
verb: prime, 3rd person present: primes, gerund or present participle: priming, past tense: primed, past participle: primed
- 1. make (something) ready for use or action.
- ▪ prepare (a firearm or explosive device) for firing or detonation he grabbed a gun from a nearby wall and primed it 同義詞
- ▪ cover (a surface) with a primer prime the new timber before painting the sill
- ▪ pour or spray liquid into (a pump) before starting in order to seal the moving parts and facilitate its operation ensure a sufficient head of water is available to prime the pump
- ▪ inject extra fuel into (the cylinder or carburettor of an internal combustion engine) in order to facilitate starting.
- ▪ (of a steam engine or its boiler) mix water with the steam being passed into the cylinder.
- ▪ induce a susceptibility or proclivity in (an animal, person, or tissue) artificial milk can prime the baby's body for future allergic reactions
- ▪ serve as a starting material for (a polymerization process) the oligonucleotide might prime DNA polymerase activity at multiple sites
- 2. prepare (someone) for a situation, typically by supplying them with relevant information the sentries had been primed to admit him without challenge 同義詞