- a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning；a rule or belief governing one's behaviour
noun: principle, plural noun: principles
- 1. a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behaviour or for a chain of reasoning:
the basic principles of justice
- 2. a rule or belief governing one's behaviour:
struggling to be true to their own principles
she resigned over a matter of principle
- 3. morally correct behaviour and attitudes:
a man of principle
- 4. a general scientific theorem or law that has numerous special applications across a wide field.
- 5. a natural law forming the basis for the construction or working of a machine:
these machines all operate on the same general principle
- 6. a fundamental source or basis of something:
the first principle of all things was water
- 7. a fundamental quality determining the nature of something:
the combination of male and female principles
- 8. an active or characteristic constituent of a substance, obtained by simple analysis or separation:
the active principle of Spanish fly
...head of a university.(大學的名譽校長) 大致上和Yahoo!翻得差不多 -------- principal在｢Yahoo! 奇摩字典｣中只有寫｢校長...
Principal is an adjective and noun word. It means the most important thing or... to learn English, as adjective. Mr. XXX is the Principal of our school, as noun. Used in finance, principal means the money...
a. 1. 主要的,首要的,最重要的[B] 2. 資本的,本金的 n. 1. 校長;社長;首長[C] 2. 資本,本金[S] 3. 主要演員,主角;首席演奏者;獨唱者[P1] 4. 委託人,當事人[P1]