- evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement；the spoken or written evidence in a trial.
- able to withstand something damaging; resistant；denoting a trial impression of a page or printed work
- make (fabric) waterproof；make a proof of (a printed work, engraving, etc.)
verb: proof, 3rd person present: proofs, gerund or present participle: proofing, past tense: proofed, past participle: proofed
noun: proof, plural noun: proofs
- 1. evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement you will be asked to give proof of your identity this is not a proof for the existence of God 同義詞
- ▪ the spoken or written evidence in a trial.
- ▪ the action or process of establishing the truth of a statement it shifts the onus of proof in convictions from the police to the public
- ▪ a series of stages in the resolution of a mathematical or philosophical problem.
- 2. a trial impression of a page, taken from type or film and used for making corrections before final printing. 同義詞
- ▪ a trial photographic print made for initial selection.
- ▪ each of a number of impressions from an engraved plate, especially (in commercial printing) of a limited number before the ordinary issue is printed and before an inscription or signature is added.
- ▪ any of various preliminary impressions of coins struck as specimens.
- 3. the strength of distilled alcoholic liquor, relative to proof spirit taken as a standard of 100 powerful 132-proof rum
- 4. a test or trial of something.
- 1. able to withstand something damaging; resistant the marine battle armor was proof against most weapons the system comes with idiot-proof instructions
- 2. denoting a trial impression of a page or printed work a proof copy is sent up for checking
- 1. make (fabric) waterproof if you are using a piece of lightweight canvas it will be necessary to proof the fabric when complete
- 2. make a proof of (a printed work, engraving, etc.) proof each plate and print it on acetate first
- ▪ proofread (a text) a book about dinosaurs was being proofed by the publisher
- 3. North American activate (yeast) by the addition of liquid proof the yeast with the teaspoon of sugar
- ▪ knead (dough) until light and smooth.
- ▪ (of dough) prove shape into a baguette and let proof for a few minutes