- the action of protecting, or the state of being protected；a person or thing that prevents someone or something from suffering harm or injury
noun: protection, plural noun: protections
- 1. the action of protecting, or the state of being protected the B vitamins give protection against infection his son was put under police protection 同義詞
- ▪ a person or thing that prevents someone or something from suffering harm or injury the castle was built as protection against the Saxons a protection against the evil eye 同義詞
- ▪ a legal or other formal measure intended to preserve civil liberties and rights most Western countries provide constitutional protections for the civil and political rights of their citizens
- ▪ a document guaranteeing immunity from harm to the person specified in it.
- ▪ the practice of paying money to criminals so as to prevent them from attacking oneself or one's property a protection racket protection money
- ▪ money paid to criminals to prevent them from attacking, especially on a regular basis.
- ▪ used euphemistically to refer to the keeping of a mistress by her lover in a separate establishment she was living under his lordship's protection at Gloucester Gate