- the action of protecting, or the state of being protected；a person or thing that prevents someone or something from suffering harm or injury
noun: protection, plural noun: protections
- 1. the action of protecting, or the state of being protected:
the B vitamins give protection against infection
his son was put under police protection
- 2. a person or thing that prevents someone or something from suffering harm or injury:
the castle was built as protection against the Saxons
a protection against the evil eye
- 3. a legal or other formal measure intended to preserve civil liberties and rights:
most Western countries provide constitutional protections for the civil and political rights of their citizens
- 4. a document guaranteeing immunity from harm to the person specified in it.
- 5. the practice of paying money to criminals so as to prevent them from attacking oneself or one's property:
a protection racket
- 6. money paid to criminals to prevent them from attacking, especially on a regular basis.
- 7. used euphemistically to refer to the keeping of a mistress by her lover in a separate establishment:
she was living under his lordship's protection at Gloucester Gate