- make or become faster or quicker；stimulate or become stimulated
verb: quicken, 3rd person present: quickens, gerund or present participle: quickening, past tense: quickened, past participle: quickened
- 1. make or become faster or quicker she quickened her pace, desperate to escape I felt my pulse quicken 同義詞 speed up, accelerate, step up, hasten, hurry, ... 更多反義詞 slow
- 2. stimulate or become stimulated her interest quickened 同義詞 stimulate, excite, stir up, arouse, rouse, ... 更多反義詞 dull
- ▪ give or restore life to on the third day after his death the human body of Jesus was quickened by the Spirit
- ▪ archaic cause (a fire) to burn.
- 3. archaic (of a woman) reach a stage in pregnancy when movements of the fetus can be felt.
- ▪ (of a fetus) begin to show signs of life.
- make or become faster or quicker: she quickened her pace, desperate to escape I felt my pulse quicken
Oxford American Dictionary