- a person who reads or who is fond of reading；a person who reads a particular newspaper, magazine, or text
noun: reader, plural noun: readers
- 1. a person who reads or who is fond of reading she's an avid reader
- ▪ a person who reads a particular newspaper, magazine, or text Guardian readers
- ▪ a person entitled to use a particular library.
- ▪ a person who reads and reports to a publisher or producer on the merits of manuscripts submitted for publication or production, or who provides critical comments on the text.
- ▪ a proofreader.
- ▪ short for lay reader
- 2. a person who inspects and records the figure indicated on a measuring instrument a meter reader
- 3. a book containing extracts of a text or texts, designed to give learners of a language practice in reading.
- 4. British a university lecturer of the highest grade below professor Dr Gardiner is Reader in Mathematics
- 5. a device that produces on a screen a magnified, readable image of a microfiche or microfilm.
- ▪ a device or piece of software used for reading or obtaining data stored on tape, cards, or other media.