- the fact of living in a place；a residential post held by a writer, musician, or artist, typically for teaching purposes
noun: residency, plural noun: residencies
- 1. the fact of living in a place a government ruling confirmed the returning refugees' right to residency
- ▪ a residential post held by a writer, musician, or artist, typically for teaching purposes the photographs were taken in East London during an artist-in-school residency
- 2. historical the official residence of the Governor General's representative or other government agent, especially at the court of an Indian state.
- 3. an organization of intelligence agents in a foreign country he made contact with the KGB residency in Aden
- 4. British a musician's regular engagement at a club or other venue he saw me at a folk club where I was doing the residency one Sunday night
- 5. North American a period of specialized medical training in a hospital; the position of a resident.
- the fact of living in a place: a government ruling confirmed the returning refugees' right to residency
Oxford American Dictionary