- the quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating；the power to evoke enduring images, memories, and emotions
noun: resonance, plural noun: resonances
- 1. the quality in a sound of being deep, full, and reverberating the resonance of his voice
- ▪ the power to evoke enduring images, memories, and emotions the concepts lose their emotional resonance
- 2. the reinforcement or prolongation of sound by reflection from a surface or by the synchronous vibration of a neighbouring object.
- 3. the condition in which an electric circuit or device produces the largest possible response to an applied oscillating signal.
- ▪ the condition in which an object or system is subjected to an oscillating force having a frequency close to its own natural frequency.
- 4. the occurrence of a simple ratio between the periods of revolution of two bodies about a single primary.
- 5. the property of having a molecular structure which cannot adequately be represented by a single structural formula but is a composite of two or more structures of higher energy.
- 6. a short-lived subatomic particle that is an excited state of a more stable particle.