- cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength；allow to be inactive in order to regain strength, health, or energy
- an instance or period of relaxing or ceasing to engage in strenuous or stressful activity；a motionless state
verb: rest, 3rd person present: rests, gerund or present participle: resting, past tense: rested, past participle: rested
noun: rest, plural noun: rests
- 1. cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength he needed to rest after the feverish activity I'm going to rest up before traveling to England 同義詞
- ▪ allow to be inactive in order to regain strength, health, or energy her friend read to her while she rested her eyes
- ▪ (of a dead person) lie buried the king's body rested in his tomb
- ▪ leave (a player) out of a team temporarily both men were rested for the final game
- ▪ (of a problem or subject) be left without further investigation, discussion, or treatment the council has urged the planning committee not to allow the matter to rest
- ▪ allow (land) to lie fallow the field should be grazed or rested
- 2. be placed or supported so as to stay in a specified position her elbow was resting on the arm of the sofa 同義詞
- ▪ place (something) so that it is supported in a specified position he rested a hand on her shoulder 同義詞
- ▪ (of a look) alight or be steadily directed on his eyes rested briefly on the boy
- 3. be based on or grounded in; depend on the country's security rested on its alliances 同義詞
- ▪ place hope, trust, or confidence on or in she rested her hopes in her attorney
- ▪ belong or be located at a specified place or with a specified person ultimate control rested with the founders
- 4. North American conclude the case for the prosecution or the defense in a law case the prosecution rests
- 1. an instance or period of relaxing or ceasing to engage in strenuous or stressful activity you look as though you need a rest a couple of days of complete rest 同義詞
- ▪ a motionless state the car accelerates rapidly from rest 同義詞
- 2. an interval of silence of a specified duration.
- ▪ the sign denoting a rest.
- ▪ a pause in speech or verse.
- 3. an object that is used to support something a chin-rest a shoulder-rest 同義詞
- ▪ a support or hook for a telephone receiver when not in use carefully the receiver was replaced on the rest
- ▪ a support for a cue in billiards or pool.