- move backwards；cause (a vehicle) to move backwards
- going in or turned towards the direction opposite to that previously stated；operating, behaving, or ordered in a way contrary or opposite to that which is usual or expected
- a complete change of direction or action；reverse gear on a motor vehicle; the position of a gear lever or selector corresponding to this
verb: reverse, 3rd person present: reverses, gerund or present participle: reversing, past tense: reversed, past participle: reversed
noun: reverse, plural noun: reverses
- 1. move backwards the lorry reversed into the back of a bus 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ cause (a vehicle) to move backwards she reversed the car into a side turn
- ▪ (of an engine) work in a contrary direction the ship's engines reversed and cut out altogether
- 2. make (something) the opposite of what it was the damage done to the ozone layer may be reversed 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ exchange (the position or function) of two people or things the experimenter and the subject reversed roles and the experiment was repeated 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ revoke or annul (a judgement, sentence, or decree made by a lower court or authority) the court reversed his conviction
- 3. turn (something) the other way round or up or inside out after completing a row of leaves or flowers I have reversed the pattern 同義詞
- 4. make (type or a design) appear as white in a block of solid colour or a half-tone their press ads had a headline reversed out of the illustration
- 1. going in or turned towards the direction opposite to that previously stated the trend appears to be going in the reverse direction 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ operating, behaving, or ordered in a way contrary or opposite to that which is usual or expected indiscriminate bombing had a reverse effect on popular morale 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a voltage applied to a semiconductor junction) in the direction which does not allow significant current to flow.
- ▪ denoting a fault in which a relative downward movement occurred in the strata on the underside of the fault plane.
- 1. a complete change of direction or action the gall actuates a reverse of photosynthesis
- ▪ reverse gear on a motor vehicle; the position of a gear lever or selector corresponding to this a knob to lock the box in four-wheel drive for reverse some automatic cars are designed so that Reverse cannot be engaged unless the driver's foot is on the brake pedal
- ▪ a play in which a player reverses the direction of attack by passing the ball to a teammate moving in the opposite direction his touchdown came after he had scampered 58 yards on a reverse with McMahon
- 2. the opposite to that previously stated he didn't feel homesick—quite the reverse 同義詞
- 3. an adverse change of fortune; a setback or defeat United suffered their heaviest reverse of the season 同義詞 反義詞
- 4. the opposite side or face to the observer the address is given on the reverse of this leaflet 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a left-hand page of an open book, or the back of a loose document.
- ▪ the side of a coin or medal bearing the value or secondary design.
- ▪ the design or inscription on the reverse of a coin or medal.