- each of a series of slender curved bones articulated in pairs to the spine (twelve pairs in humans), protecting the thoracic cavity and its organs；a rib of an animal with meat adhering to it used as food; a joint or cut from the ribs of an animal
- mark with or form into raised bands or ridges；tease good-naturedly
noun: rib, plural noun: ribs
verb: rib, 3rd person present: ribs, gerund or present participle: ribbing, past tense: ribbed, past participle: ribbed
- 1. each of a series of slender curved bones articulated in pairs to the spine (twelve pairs in humans), protecting the thoracic cavity and its organs:
he had several broken ribs
- 2. a rib of an animal with meat adhering to it used as food; a joint or cut from the ribs of an animal:
a lunch of ribs, wings, and blueberry pie
1,300 lb of beef rib
- 3. a long raised piece of stronger or thicker material across a surface or through a structure, and typically serving to support or strengthen it.
- 4. a curved member supporting a vault or defining its form:
stone is used only for ribs, piers, and windows
a rib vault
- 5. any of the curved transverse pieces of metal or timber in a ship, extending up from the keel and forming part of the framework of the hull:
the hull was stiffened with 26 ribs
- 6. each of the curved pieces of wood forming the body of a lute or the sides of a violin.
- 7. each of the hinged rods supporting the fabric of an umbrella.
- 8. a structural member in an airfoil, extending back from the leading edge and serving to define the contour of the airfoil.
- 9. a ridge of rock or land:
the final rib gives pleasant climbing
- 10. a vein of a leaf (especially the midrib) or an insect's wing:
a spinach-type leaf with red ribs
- 11. a combination of alternate knit (plain) and purl stitches producing a ridged, slightly elastic fabric, used especially for the cuffs and bottom edges of sweaters:
knit twenty rows of rib
knit a new rib
- 1. mark with or form into raised bands or ridges:
the road ahead was ribbed with furrows of slush
- 2. tease good-naturedly:
the first time I appeared in the outfit I was ribbed mercilessly
... his way, he said, his newborn daughter will teethe on a rib bone." (可參考CNN網站: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/22...
排骨酥湯 Crispy Spare Rib Soup. 材料: 小排骨 400g 蛋 半個 蒜末... wine, sugar, five spice powder and white pepper), and the ribs in a plastic bag and mix well. Leave in fridge for...
Stick to your ribs 的英文諺語是比喻模樣食物在您吃下后有撐著的感覺。它也可以代表某些食物...的大餐。 舉例說明： 1. That rice dumpling really stick to your ribs！ 剛才吃的那個肉粽真是撐死了！ 2. This big bag of bread ought to...