- a person or thing that looks exactly like another；an athlete or horse fraudulently substituted for another in a competition or event
noun: ringer, plural noun: ringers
- 1. informal a person or thing that looks exactly like another he is a dead ringer for his late papa he's a ringer for the French actor Fernandel
- ▪ an athlete or horse fraudulently substituted for another in a competition or event it was discovered that the winning horse was a ringer
- ▪ a person who is highly proficient at a particular skill or sport and is brought in to supplement a team or group of people league eligibility rules had grown flexible to accommodate new teams, and ringers began suiting up
- 2. a person or device that rings something.