- people of royal blood or status；a member of a royal family
noun: royalty, plural noun: royalties
- 1. people of royal blood or status diplomats, heads of state, and royalty shared tables at the banquet
- ▪ a member of a royal family she swept by as if she were royalty
- ▪ the status or power of a king or queen the brilliance of her clothes, her jewels, all revealed her royalty
- ▪ the most successful, famous, or highly regarded members of a particular group it's not often you meet real Hollywood royalty, let alone chat to Angelina Jolie and Dustin Hoffman in one day
- 2. a sum paid to a patentee for the use of a patent or to an author or composer for each copy of a book sold or for each public performance of a work the royalties paid to writers for recorded music
- 3. a royal right (now especially over minerals) granted by the sovereign to an individual or corporation.
- ▪ a payment made by a producer of minerals, oil, or natural gas to the owner of the site or of the mineral rights over it.
- people of royal blood or status: diplomats, heads of state, and royalty shared tables at the banquet
Oxford American Dictionary