- the period preceding a notable event；an act of running briefly to gain momentum before performing a jump in track and field or other sports
noun: run-up, plural noun: run-ups
- 1. the period preceding a notable event it is going to be a busy run-up to Christmas
- 2. an act of running briefly to gain momentum before performing a jump in track and field or other sports high jumper Steve Smith will use his shortened five-stride run-up
- 3. a low approach shot that bounces and runs forward.
- 4. an act of running an engine or turbine to prepare it for use or to test it other than for the first flight of the day, engine run-ups are not deemed necessary
- 5. a marked rise in the value or level of something a sharp run-up of land and stock prices