- leave or go away from a place quickly；shut down (a nuclear reactor) in an emergency
- an emergency shutdown of a nuclear reactor
verb: scram, 3rd person present: scrams, gerund or present participle: scramming, past tense: scrammed, past participle: scrammed
- 1. leave or go away from a place quickly get out of here, you miserable wretches—scram!
- 2. shut down (a nuclear reactor) in an emergency when the power is cut off, the unit will automatically scram the reactor
- 3. (of a nuclear reactor) shut down in an emergency the reactor scrammed unexpectedly after an electrical malfunction
- 1. an emergency shutdown of a nuclear reactor the power plant was cited for its high rate of scrams over the past year