- forming or viewed as a unit apart or by itself；not joined or touching physically
- cause to move or be apart；form a distinction or boundary between
- individual items of clothing, such as skirts, jackets, or trousers, suitable for wearing in different combinations.；the self-contained, free-standing components of a sound-reproduction system.
verb: separate, 3rd person present: separates, gerund or present participle: separating, past tense: separated, past participle: separated
- 1. forming or viewed as a unit apart or by itself this raises two separate issues he regards the study of literature as quite separate from life 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ not joined or touching physically a bathroom and separate toilet 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ different; distinct melt the white and plain chocolate in separate bowls
- 1. cause to move or be apart both owners were trying to separate the dogs they were separated by the war 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ form a distinction or boundary between only a footpath separated their garden from the shore six years separated the two brothers 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ become detached or disconnected; move apart the second stage of the rocket failed to separate they separated at the corner, agreeing to meet within two hours 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ stop living together as a couple after her parents separated she was brought up by her mother 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ US discharge or dismiss (someone) from service or employment this year one million veterans will be separated from the service
- 2. divide into constituent or distinct elements the processed milk had separated into curds and whey separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ extract or remove for use or rejection the skins are separated from the juice before fermentation 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ distinguish between or from others; consider individually we cannot separate his thinking from his activity his position separates him from those who might share his interests
- 1. individual items of clothing, such as skirts, jackets, or trousers, suitable for wearing in different combinations.
- 2. the self-contained, free-standing components of a sound-reproduction system.
- 3. portions into which a soil, sediment, etc. can be sorted according to particle size, mineral composition, or other criteria analysis of mineral separates from six cordierite-bearing strata