- the policy of taking land out of production to reduce crop surpluses；land taken out of production to reduce crop surpluses
noun: set-aside, plural noun: set-asides
- 1. the policy of taking land out of production to reduce crop surpluses government subsidies could be an alternative to set-aside grants for providing public access to set-aside land
- ▪ land taken out of production to reduce crop surpluses he has fifty acres of set-aside
- 2. US a government contract awarded without competition to a minority-owned business.
- 3. US a portion of funds or other resources reserved for a particular purpose a set-aside for library services for Native Americans