- an official agreement intended to resolve a dispute or conflict；a formal arrangement made between the parties to a lawsuit in order to resolve it, especially out of court
noun: settlement, plural noun: settlements
- 1. an official agreement intended to resolve a dispute or conflict unions succeeded in reaching a pay settlement the settlement of the boundary disputes 同義詞
- ▪ a formal arrangement made between the parties to a lawsuit in order to resolve it, especially out of court the award was made as an out-of-court settlement by the driver's insurance firm 同義詞
- 2. a place, typically one which has previously been uninhabited, where people establish a community one of the oldest Viking settlements in western Europe 同義詞
- ▪ the process of establishing a settlement or settlements a continent where settlement is at the mercy of geography 同義詞
- ▪ the action of allowing or helping people to establish settlements the settlement of immigrants in the occupied territories
- 3. an arrangement whereby property passes to a succession of people as dictated by the settlor inheritance tax could be due if you make a substantial gift or settlement and then die within the following seven years
- ▪ the property given under a settlement.
- ▪ short for marriage settlement
- 4. the action or process of settling an account most suppliers will offer early settlement discounts 同義詞
- 5. subsidence of the ground or a structure built on it a boundary wall, which has cracked due to settlement, is to be replaced
- a scheme to promote rural development by establishing farmers in underdeveloped areas: they aimed to place as many people as possible on the land by establishing government-assisted settlement schemes
- another term for shackland
- an arrangement whereby a person with a terminal illness sells their life insurance policy to a ...
- an agreement setting out the terms of tenure for a large area of agricultural land: one condition of a settlement lease provided that the land be kept clear of prickly-pear
- an institution in an inner-city area providing educational, recreational, and other social ...
Oxford American Dictionary
- an institution in an inner-city area, typically sponsored by a church or college, providing ...
- a government policy designed to establish productive agricultural communities by dividing large ... closer settlement relied on settlers practising forms of intensive agriculture
- a place designed for the imprisonment and punishment of convicts: dysentery was rife in the nearby convict settlement
- an official agreement intended to resolve a dispute or conflict: unions succeeded in reaching a pay settlement the settlement of the Sino-Japanese war
Oxford American Dictionary