- violently break (something) into pieces；be violently broken into pieces; shatter
- an act or sound of something smashing；a violent collision or impact between vehicles
verb: smash, 3rd person present: smashes, gerund or present participle: smashing, past tense: smashed, past participle: smashed
noun: smash, plural noun: smashes
- 1. violently break (something) into pieces the thief smashed a window to get into the car gone are the days when he smashed up hotels 同義詞 break, break to pieces, smash to smithereens, shatter, splinter, ... 更多
- ▪ be violently broken into pieces; shatter the glass ball smashed instantly on the pavement 同義詞 break, break to pieces, smash to smithereens, shatter, splinter, ... 更多
- ▪ violently knock down or crush inward soldiers smashed down doors 同義詞 crash into, collide with, be in collision with, hit, strike, ... 更多
- ▪ crash and severely damage (a vehicle) my Volvo's been smashed up 同義詞 crash, wreck, write off, informalprang, total
- ▪ hit or attack (someone) very violently Donald smashed him over the head 同義詞 hit, strike, thump, punch, cuff, ... 更多
- ▪ easily or comprehensively beat (a record) he smashed the course record
- ▪ completely defeat, destroy, or foil (something regarded as hostile or dangerous) a deliberate attempt to smash the union movement 同義詞 destroy, wreck, ruin, shatter, dash, ... 更多
- 2. move so as to hit or collide with something with great force and impact their plane smashed into a mountainside giant Atlantic waves smashed against the wall
- ▪ (in sports) strike (the ball) or score (a goal, run, etc.) with great force he smashed that one into the bleachers for another two-run homer
- ▪ (in tennis, badminton, and similar sports) strike (the ball or shuttlecock) downward with a hard overhand stroke.
- 1. an act or sound of something smashing he heard the smash of glass 同義詞 breaking, shattering, crashing, crash
- ▪ British a violent collision or impact between vehicles a car smash 同義詞 crash, multiple crash, car crash, collision, multiple collision, ... 更多
- ▪ a violent blow a forearm smash
- ▪ a stroke in tennis, badminton, and similar sports in which the ball is hit downward with a hard overhand volley.
- 2. informal a very successful song, film, show, or performer. 同義詞 great success, sensation, sellout, triumph, succès fou, ... 更多
- 3. a mixture of liquors (typically brandy) with flavored water and ice.
- 4. informal, dated a bankruptcy or financial failure.