- strike with a firm blow；defeat or conquer (a people or land)
- a heavy blow or stroke with a weapon or the hand.
verb: smite, 3rd person present: smites, gerund or present participle: smiting, past tense: smote, past participle: smitten
- 1. literary strike with a firm blow he smites the water with his sword
- ▪ archaic defeat or conquer (a people or land) he may smite our enemies
- ▪ (especially of disease) attack or affect severely various people had been smitten with untimely summer flu
- 2. be strongly attracted to someone or something she was so smitten with the boy
- 1. archaic a heavy blow or stroke with a weapon or the hand.