- the projecting nose and mouth of an animal, especially a mammal；a person's nose
noun: snout, plural noun: snouts
- 1. the projecting nose and mouth of an animal, especially a mammal a sea lion balanced a ball on its snout
- ▪ informal a person's nose a guard with a pair of vicious piggy eyes above a snarling snout
- ▪ the projecting front or end of something such as a pistol he was stopped by the snout of her pistol
- 2. British informal a cigarette.
- ▪ tobacco.
- 3. British informal a police informer his arrest had been the work of some anonymous snout