- feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else's misfortune；filled with compassion for
- 1. feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else's misfortune I was sorry to hear about what happened to your family 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ filled with compassion for I felt sorry for the poor boys working for him
- 2. feeling regret or penitence he said he was sorry he had upset me I'm sorry if I was a bit brusque 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ used to express apology sorry—I was trying not to make a noise
- ▪ used as a polite request that someone should repeat something that one has failed to hear or understand I'm sorry—you were saying?
- 3. in a poor or pitiful state he looks a sorry sight with his broken jaw 同義詞
- ▪ unpleasant and regrettable, especially on account of incompetence or misbehaviour we feel so ashamed that we keep quiet about the whole sorry business