- the action of measuring the depth of a body of water.；a measurement taken by sounding.
noun: sounding, plural noun: soundings
- 1. the action of measuring the depth of a body of water.
- ▪ a measurement taken by sounding.
- ▪ the determination of any physical property at a depth in the sea or at a height in the atmosphere.
- ▪ archaic the area of sea close to the shore which is shallow enough for the bottom to be reached by means of a sounding line.
- 2. information or evidence ascertained as a preliminary step before taking action he took soundings about the possibility of moving offices