- the non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul；the non-physical part of a person regarded as their true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation
- convey rapidly and secretly
noun: spirit, plural noun: spirits
- 1. the non-physical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul we seek a harmony between body and spirit 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the non-physical part of a person regarded as their true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation a year after he left, his spirit is still present 同義詞
- ▪ the non-physical part of a person manifested as an apparition after their death; a ghost a priest performed a rite of exorcism and the wandering spirit was ousted 同義詞
- ▪ a supernatural being shrines to nature spirits
- ▪ the Holy Spirit.
- 2. the prevailing or typical quality, mood, or attitude of a person, group, or period of time I hope the team will build on this spirit of confidence the university is a symbol of the nation's egalitarian spirit 同義詞
- ▪ a person identified with their most prominent quality or with their role in a group or movement he was a leading spirit in the conference
- ▪ a person's mood as I sat alone in that corridor my spirits were low
- ▪ the attitude or intentions with which someone undertakes or regards something he confessed in a spirit of self-respect 同義詞
- ▪ the quality of courage, energy, and determination his visitors admired his spirit and good temper 同義詞
- ▪ the real meaning or the intention behind something as opposed to its strict verbal interpretation the rule had been broken in spirit if not in letter 同義詞
- 3. British strong distilled alcoholic drink such as brandy, whisky, gin, or rum.
- ▪ a volatile liquid, especially a fuel, prepared by distillation aviation spirit
- ▪ archaic a solution of volatile components extracted from something, typically by distillation or by solution in alcohol spirits of turpentine
- 4. archaic a highly refined substance or fluid thought to govern vital phenomena.
- 1. convey rapidly and secretly stolen cows were spirited away some distance to prevent detection they were arrested in the middle of the night and spirited off to prison