- be present while something bad is happening but fail to take any action to stop it；be ready to deal or assist with something
- 1. be present while something bad is happening but fail to take any action to stop it
- 2. be ready to deal or assist with something
- 3. support or remain loyal to someone, typically in a time of need
- 4. adhere to or abide by something promised, stated, or decided
... preparing for bed when I heard a knock ar the door. stand by <1>袖手旁觀(vi) How can you stand by and let him...
stand by 有預備也有支持的意思 所以你們老師說我隨時都會小考,最好隨時stand by 意思是要你們隨時準備好 i will stand by you 則是我會支持你 *U*
..., duty-free--------複合動詞：助動詞+主動詞 I do not like the toy.本句stand by屬於片語動詞，因為stand屬及物動詞為了轉化成及物動詞接受詞，就變成stand by...