- the main body or stalk of a plant or shrub, typically rising above ground but occasionally subterranean.；the stalk supporting a fruit, flower, or leaf, and attaching it to a larger branch, twig, or stalk.
- originate in or be caused by；remove the stems from (fruit or tobacco leaves)
noun: stem, plural noun: stems
verb: stem, 3rd person present: stems, gerund or present participle: stemming, past tense: stemmed, past participle: stemmed
- 1. the main body or stalk of a plant or shrub, typically rising above ground but occasionally subterranean.
- 2. the stalk supporting a fruit, flower, or leaf, and attaching it to a larger branch, twig, or stalk.
- 3. a long, thin supportive or main section of something:
the main stem of the wing feathers
- 4. the slender part of a wine glass between the base and the bowl:
her fingers tightened on the stem of her glass
- 5. the tube of a tobacco pipe:
Stanley eyed his father over the stem of his pipe
- 6. a rod or cylinder in a mechanism, for example the sliding shaft of a bolt or the winding pin of a watch:
the stem of the bolt edged clear
- 7. a vertical stroke in a letter or musical note.
- 8. the root or main part of a word, to which inflections or formative elements are added.
- 9. the main line of descent of a family or nation:
the Hellenic tribes were derived from the Aryan stem
- 10. the main upright timber or metal piece at the bow of a ship, to which the ship's sides are joined at the front end:
the spines and bow stems of abandoned hulks
- 11. a pipe used for smoking crack or opium.
- 1. originate in or be caused by:
many of the universities' problems stem from rapid expansion
- 2. remove the stems from (fruit or tobacco leaves):
her aunt and her mother were stemming currants on the side porch
- 3. (of a boat) make headway against (the tide or current):
if the wind will only freshen a little, we shall be able to stem the first of the flood
...的， 只是：The trial of the First Lady on charges stemming from the alleged misuse of state funds is set to resume ...
（Stems from the base of many English words. 的 from 應該是 form 吧...
beryllium anode stem 陽(正)離子家族中的鈹元素 beryllium鈹元素 anode正(陽)離子 stem家族;系