- hard solid nonmetallic mineral matter of which rock is made, especially as a building material；used in similes and metaphors to refer to weight or lack of feeling, expression, or movement
- throw stones at；remove the stone from (a fruit)
verb: stone, 3rd person present: stones, gerund or present participle: stoning, past tense: stoned, past participle: stoned
noun: stone, plural noun: stones
- 1. hard solid nonmetallic mineral matter of which rock is made, especially as a building material the houses are built of stone high stone walls
- ▪ used in similes and metaphors to refer to weight or lack of feeling, expression, or movement Isabel stood as if turned to stone the elevator dropped like a stone
- ▪ a small piece of rock found on the ground. 同義詞 rock, pebble, boulder, boondie, cobbles, ... 更多
- ▪ a meteorite made of rock, as opposed to metal.
- ▪ a calculus; a gallstone or kidney stone.
- 2. a piece of stone shaped for a purpose, especially one of commemoration, ceremony, or demarcation a memorial stone boundary stones 同義詞 gravestone, headstone, tombstone, tablet, monument, ... 更多
- ▪ a gem or jewel a gold ring with a small dark red stone 同義詞 gem, gemstone, jewel, precious stone, semiprecious stone, ... 更多
- ▪ short for curling stone
- ▪ a round piece or counter, originally made of stone, used in various board games such as backgammon.
- ▪ a large flat table or sheet, originally made of stone and later usually of metal, on which pages of type were made up.
- 3. a hard seed in a cherry, plum, peach, and some other fruits. 同義詞 kernel, seed, pip, pit, technicalendocarp
- 4. British a unit of weight equal to 14 pounds (6.35 kg) I weighed 10 stone
- 5. a natural shade of whitish-gray or brownish-gray stone stretch trousers
- 1. throw stones at three vehicles were stoned and torched
- 2. British remove the stone from (a fruit) halve, stone, and peel the avocados
- 3. build, face, or pave with stone the honey-stoned, eighteenth-century city