- extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend；(of hair) not curly or wavy.
- in a straight line; directly；with no delay or diversion; directly or immediately
- a part of something that is not curved or bent, especially a section of a racetrack；a form or position that is not curved or bent
noun: straight, plural noun: straights
- 1. extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend a long, straight road 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of hair) not curly or wavy.
- ▪ (of a garment) not flared or fitted closely to the body a straight skirt
- ▪ (of an aim, blow, or course) going direct to the intended target a straight punch to the face 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a line) lying on the shortest path between any two of its points.
- ▪ (of an arch) flat-topped.
- 2. properly positioned so as to be level, upright, or symmetrical he made sure his tie was straight 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ in proper order or condition it'll take a long time to get the place straight 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. not evasive; honest a straight answer thank you for being straight with me 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ simple; straightforward a straight choice between nuclear power and penury
- ▪ (of a look) bold and steady he gave her a straight, no-nonsense look
- ▪ (of thinking) clear, logical, and unemotional. 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (especially of drama) serious as opposed to comic or musical a straight play
- 4. in continuous succession he scored his fourth straight win 同義詞
- ▪ supporting all the principles and candidates of one political party he generally voted a straight ticket
- 5. (of an alcoholic drink) undiluted; neat straight brandy 同義詞 反義詞
- 6. (of a person) heterosexual I was confused, I didn't know if I was gay or straight straight people 同義詞 反義詞
- 7. informal (of a person) conventional or respectable he looked pretty straight in his work clothes 同義詞
- ▪ not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- 1. in a straight line; directly he was gazing straight at her keep straight on 同義詞
- ▪ with no delay or diversion; directly or immediately after dinner we went straight back to our hotel I fell into bed and went straight to sleep 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ archaic at once; immediately I'll fetch up the bath to you straight 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. in or into a level, even, or upright position he pulled his clothes straight sit up straight!
- 3. correctly; clearly I'm so tired I can hardly think straight 同義詞
- ▪ honestly and directly; in a straightforward manner I told her straight—the kid's right 同義詞
- 4. without a break; continuously he remembered working sixteen hours straight
- 1. a part of something that is not curved or bent, especially a section of a racetrack he pulled away in the straight to win by half a second
- ▪ archaic a form or position that is not curved or bent the rod flew back to the straight
- 2. informal a heterosexual person.
- 3. informal a conventional or respectable person.
- 4. (in poker) a continuous sequence of five cards.