- extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend；(of hair) not curly or wavy.
- in a straight line; directly；with no delay or diversion; directly or immediately
- a part of something that is not curved or bent, especially a straight section of a racecourse；a form or position that is not curved or bent
noun: straight, plural noun: straights
- 1. extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend a long, straight road 同義詞 unswerving, undeviating, linear, direct, as straight as an arrow, ... 更多反義詞 winding, zigzag
- ▪ (of hair) not curly or wavy.
- ▪ (of a garment) not flared or fitted closely to the body a straight skirt
- ▪ (of an aim, blow, or course) going direct to the intended target a straight punch to the face 同義詞 unswerving, undeviating, linear, direct, as straight as an arrow, ... 更多反義詞 winding, zigzag
- ▪ (of a line) lying on the shortest path between any two of its points.
- ▪ (of an arch) flat-topped.
- 2. properly positioned so as to be level, upright, or symmetrical he made sure his tie was straight 同義詞 level, even, true, in line, aligned, ... 更多反義詞 crooked, askew
- ▪ in proper order or condition it'll take a long time to get the place straight 同義詞 in order, tidy, neat and tidy, neat, shipshape (and Bristol fashion), ... 更多反義詞 untidy, messy
- 3. not evasive; honest a straight answer thank you for being straight with me 同義詞 honest, direct, frank, candid, truthful, ... 更多反義詞 indirect, evasive
- ▪ simple; straightforward a straight choice between nuclear power and penury
- ▪ (of a look) bold and steady he gave her a straight, no-nonsense look
- ▪ (of thinking) clear, logical, and unemotional. 同義詞 logical, rational, clear, lucid, sound, ... 更多反義詞 irrational, illogical
- ▪ (especially of drama) serious as opposed to comic or musical a straight play
- 4. in continuous succession he scored his fourth straight win 同義詞 successive, in succession, consecutive, in a row, one after the other, ... 更多
- 5. (of an alcoholic drink) undiluted; neat straight brandy 同義詞 undiluted, neat, unmixed, unadulterated, pure, ... 更多反義詞 diluted
- 6. (of a person) heterosexual I was confused, I didn't know if I was gay or straight straight people 同義詞 heterosexual, hetero, het反義詞 gay, homosexual
- 7. informal (of a person) conventional or respectable he looked pretty straight in his work clothes 同義詞 respectable, upright, upstanding, honourable, honest, ... 更多
- ▪ not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- 1. in a straight line; directly he was gazing straight at her keep straight on 同義詞 right, directly, squarely, full, plumb, ... 更多
- ▪ with no delay or diversion; directly or immediately after dinner we went straight back to our hotel I fell into bed and went straight to sleep 同義詞 directly, right, by a direct route, without deviating, in a beeline, ... 更多反義詞 later, eventually
- ▪ archaic at once; immediately I'll fetch up the bath to you straight 同義詞 right away, straight away, without delay, immediately, directly, ... 更多反義詞 later, eventually
- 2. in or into a level, even, or upright position he pulled his clothes straight sit up straight!
- 3. correctly; clearly I'm so tired I can hardly think straight 同義詞 logically, rationally, clearly, lucidly, coherently, ... 更多
- ▪ honestly and directly; in a straightforward manner I told her straight—the kid's right 同義詞 frankly, directly, straight out, candidly, honestly, ... 更多
- 4. without a break; continuously he remembered working sixteen hours straight
- 1. a part of something that is not curved or bent, especially a straight section of a racecourse he pulled away in the straight to win by half a second
- ▪ archaic a form or position that is not curved or bent the rod flew back to the straight
- 2. informal a heterosexual person.
- 3. informal a conventional or respectable person.
- 4. (in poker) a continuous sequence of five cards.
- 5. South African informal (in township slang) a 750 ml bottle of alcoholic drink.
- an internal combustion engine with six cylinders in line.
- completely straight: the roads are empty and arrow-straight
- directly: an index leads you arrow-straight to documents of interest
- unmixed; unadulterated
Oxford American Dictionary
- a bar with one accurately straight edge, used for testing whether something else is straight.
- (especially among fans of hardcore punk music) having an ascetic or abstinent lifestyle: he's so straight-edge that he won't even take Tylenol when he has a headache
- honest and trustworthy: you sounded like a straight-up guy
- the straight final stretch of a racecourse: he dominated the race in the home straight
- an honest, morally upright person: he was remembered as a loner and a straight arrow
- honest and morally upright: the straight-arrow head coach found himself answering for their crimes
- containing, characterized by, or relating to straight lines or motion in a straight line: a straight-line graph the Porsche's straight-line stability
- extending or moving uniformly in one direction only; without a curve or bend: a long, straight road
- in a straight line; directly: he was gazing straight at her keep straight on
- a part of something that is not curved or bent, especially a section of a racetrack: he pulled away in the straight to win by half a second
Oxford American Dictionary