- a person or thing acting or serving in place of another；a sports player nominated as eligible to replace another after a game has begun.
- use or add in place of；act or serve as a substitute
verb: substitute, 3rd person present: substitutes, gerund or present participle: substituting, past tense: substituted, past participle: substituted
noun: substitute, plural noun: substitutes
- 1. a person or thing acting or serving in place of another soy milk is used as a substitute for dairy milk
- ▪ a sports player nominated as eligible to replace another after a game has begun.
- ▪ a person or thing that becomes the object of love or other emotion deprived of its natural outlet a father substitute
- 1. use or add in place of dried rosemary can be substituted for the fresh herb 同義詞
- ▪ act or serve as a substitute I found someone to substitute for me
- ▪ replace (someone or something) with another customs officers substituted the drugs with another substance this was substituted by a new clause
- ▪ replace (a sports player) with a substitute during a contest he was substituted for Nichols in the fifth inning
- ▪ replace (an atom or group in a molecule, especially a hydrogen atom) with another.