- forcibly put an end to；prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain
verb: suppress, 3rd person present: suppresses, gerund or present participle: suppressing, past tense: suppressed, past participle: suppressed
- 1. forcibly put an end to the uprising was savagely suppressed 同義詞 subdue, defeat, conquer, vanquish, triumph over, ... 更多反義詞 incite, encourage
- ▪ prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain she could not suppress a rising panic 同義詞 conceal, restrain, stifle, smother, bottle up, ... 更多
- ▪ prevent the dissemination of (information) the report had been suppressed 同義詞 censor, redact, keep secret, conceal, hide, ... 更多反義詞 publicize, disclose
- ▪ prevent or inhibit (a process or reaction) use of the drug suppressed the immune response
- ▪ partly or wholly eliminate (electrical interference).
- ▪ consciously inhibit (an unpleasant idea or memory) to avoid considering it.
- forcibly put an end to: the rising was savagely suppressed