- strengthen or support physically or mentally；bear (the weight of an object) without breaking or falling
- an effect or facility on a keyboard or electronic instrument whereby a note can be sustained after the key is released.
verb: sustain, 3rd person present: sustains, gerund or present participle: sustaining, past tense: sustained, past participle: sustained
- 1. strengthen or support physically or mentally this thought had sustained him throughout the years 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ bear (the weight of an object) without breaking or falling he sagged against her so that she could barely sustain his weight his health will no longer enable him to sustain the heavy burdens of office 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. undergo or suffer (something unpleasant, especially an injury) he sustained severe head injuries 同義詞
- 3. cause to continue for an extended period or without interruption he cannot sustain a normal conversation 同義詞
- ▪ (of a performer) represent (a part or character) convincingly he sustained the role of Creon with burly resilience
- 4. uphold, affirm, or confirm the justice or validity of the allegations of discrimination were sustained 同義詞
- 1. an effect or facility on a keyboard or electronic instrument whereby a note can be sustained after the key is released.