- (especially of a part of the body) become larger or rounder in size, typically as a result of an accumulation of fluid；be intensely affected or filled with a particular emotion
- a full or gently rounded shape or form；a gradual increase in amount, intensity, or volume
- excellent; very good；smart; fashionable
- excellently; very well
verb: swell, 3rd person present: swells, gerund or present participle: swelling, past tense: swelled, past participle: swollen
noun: swell, plural noun: swells
- 1. (especially of a part of the body) become larger or rounder in size, typically as a result of an accumulation of fluid her bruised knee was already swelling up the sky was black and swollen with rain 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ be intensely affected or filled with a particular emotion she felt herself swell with pride 同義詞
- 2. become or make greater in intensity, number, amount, or volume the low murmur swelled to a roar the city's population was swollen by refugees 同義詞 反義詞
- 1. a full or gently rounded shape or form the soft swell of her breast
- 2. a gradual increase in amount, intensity, or volume a huge swell in the popularity of one-day cricket 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a welling up of a feeling a swell of pride swept over George
- 3. a slow, regular movement of the sea in rolling waves that do not break there was a heavy swell 同義詞
- 4. a mechanism for producing a crescendo or diminuendo in an organ or harmonium.
- 5. informal, dated a fashionable or stylish person of wealth or high social position a crowd of city swells
- 1. North American informal, dated excellent; very good you're looking swell
- ▪ North American informal, dated smart; fashionable a swell boulevard
- 1. North American informal, dated excellently; very well everything was just going swell
在 swell 的三態是 swell - swelled - swelled/swollen swollen 通常出現為形容詞(腫脹的) ex: swollen woman 豐滿的女人 但如果用動詞的話 swell(現在式) - swelled(過去式) - swelled...
His cheeks might have been swelled (swollen) up all of a sudden.他的臉頰突然之間就腫起來了swell swelled swelled swell swelled swollen
...自負;誇大 6. (情緒等)高漲 7. (帆等)膨脹,鼓起[(+out)] The sails swelled out in the wind. 船帆在風中鼓起。 vt. 1. 使(力量等)增長 2. 使隆起;使上漲...