- move with a hissing or rushing sound；cause to move with a hissing or rushing sound
- a hissing or rustling sound；a rapid swinging movement
- impressively smart and fashionable；(of a man) effeminate.
verb: swish, 3rd person present: swishes, gerund or present participle: swishing, past tense: swished, past participle: swished
noun: swish, plural noun: swishes
- 1. move with a hissing or rushing sound a car swished by
- ▪ cause to move with a hissing or rushing sound a girl came in, swishing her long skirts
- ▪ aim a swinging blow at something he swished at a bramble with a piece of stick
- 2. sink (a shot) without the ball touching the backboard or rim.
- 1. a hissing or rustling sound he could hear the swish of a distant car
- ▪ a rapid swinging movement the cow gave a swish of its tail
- 2. informal a shot that goes through the basket without touching the backboard or rim.
- 3. North American offensive an effeminate gay man.
- 1. British impressively smart and fashionable dinner at a swish hotel
- 2. US offensive (of a man) effeminate.
- move with a hissing or rushing sound: a car swished by
- a hissing or rustling sound: he could hear the swish of a distant car
- impressively smart and fashionable: dinner at a swish hotel