- attach or fasten (someone or something) with string or similar cord；fasten (something) to or around someone or something by means of its strings or by forming the ends into a knot or bow
- a piece of string, cord, or the like used for fastening or tying something；a shoe tied with a lace.
verb: tie, 3rd person present: ties, gerund or present participle: tying, past tense: tied, past participle: tied
noun: tie, plural noun: ties
- 1. attach or fasten (someone or something) with string or similar cord they tied Max to a chair Gabriel tied up his horse 同義詞 bind, tie up, tether, hitch, strap, ... 更多反義詞 untie
- ▪ fasten (something) to or around someone or something by means of its strings or by forming the ends into a knot or bow Lewis tied on his apron 同義詞 do up, knot, make a knot in, make a bow in, lace
- ▪ form (a string, ribbon, or lace) into a knot or bow Rick bent to tie his shoelaces
- ▪ form (a knot or bow) by tying tie a knot in one end of the cotton
- ▪ be fastened with a knot or bow a sarong that ties at the waist
- 2. restrict or limit (someone) to a particular situation, occupation, or place she didn't want to be like her mother, tied to a feckless man 同義詞 restrict, restrain, limit, constrain, confine, ... 更多
- 3. connect; link more firms are realizing that their fate is tied to the community in which they operate self-respect is closely tied up with the esteem in which one is held by one's peers 同義詞 link, couple, connect, relate, join, ... 更多
- ▪ hold together by a crosspiece or tie ceiling joists are used to tie the rafter feet
- ▪ unite (written notes) by a tie.
- ▪ perform (two notes) as one unbroken note.
- 4. achieve the same score or ranking as another competitor or team he tied for second in the league Toronto tied the score in the fourth inning 同義詞 draw, be equal, be even, be neck and neck, be level
- 1. a piece of string, cord, or the like used for fastening or tying something he tightened the tie of his robe 同義詞 lace, string, cord, ligature, wire, ... 更多
- ▪ US a shoe tied with a lace.
- 2. a rod or beam holding parts of a structure together.
- ▪ North American a wooden or concrete beam laid transversely under a railroad track to support it.
- ▪ a curved line above or below two notes of the same pitch indicating that they are to be played for the combined duration of their time values.
- 3. a thing that unites or links people it is important that we keep family ties strong 同義詞 bond, connection, link, liaison, attachment, ... 更多
- ▪ a thing that restricts someone's freedom of action some cities and merchants were freed from feudal ties 同義詞 restriction, curb, limitation, constraint, obligation, ... 更多
- 4. a strip of material worn around the collar and tied in a knot at the front with the ends hanging down, typically forming part of a man's business or formal outfit; a necktie his hand went up to his collar and started to loosen his tie 同義詞 necktie, neckwear
- 5. a result in a game or other competitive situation in which two or more competitors or teams have the same score or ranking; a draw there was a tie for first place 同義詞 draw, dead heat, deadlock, stalemate