- IPA[ˌtīm ˈout]
- time for rest or recreation away from one's usual work or studies；a brief break in play in a game or sport
noun: time out, plural noun: timeouts
- 1. time for rest or recreation away from one's usual work or studies she is taking time out from her hectic tour
- ▪ a brief break in play in a game or sport he inadvertently called for a timeout with two seconds remaining
- ▪ an imposed temporary suspension of activities, especially the separation of a misbehaving child from one or more playmates as a disciplinary measure it's the third time this week he's been in time-out
- 2. a cancellation or cessation that automatically occurs when a predefined interval of time has passed without a certain event occurring.