- time for rest or recreation away from one's usual work or studies；a brief break in play in a game or sport
noun: time out, plural noun: timeouts
- 1. time for rest or recreation away from one's usual work or studies she is taking time out from her hectic tour
- ▪ a brief break in play in a game or sport he called for a timeout from the game
- ▪ a brief period of time during which a misbehaving child is put on their own so that they can regain control over their emotions.
- 2. a cancellation or cessation that automatically occurs when a predefined interval of time has passed without a certain event occurring.