- a unit of weight equal to 2,000 pounds avoirdupois (907.19 kg).；a unit of weight equal to 2,240 pounds avoirdupois (1016.05 kg).
noun: ton, plural noun: tons
- 1. North American a unit of weight equal to 2,000 pounds avoirdupois (907.19 kg).
- ▪ a unit of weight equal to 2,240 pounds avoirdupois (1016.05 kg).
- ▪ short for metric ton
- ▪ a unit of measurement of a ship's weight representing the weight of water it displaces, equal to 2,240 pounds or 35 cubic feet (0.99 cu m).
- ▪ a unit of weight or volume of sea cargo, equal to a metric ton (1,000 kg) or 40 cubic feet.
- 2. a unit of gross internal capacity, equal to 100 cubic feet (2.83 cu. m).
- ▪ an equivalent unit of net internal capacity.
- ▪ a unit of refrigerating power able to freeze 2,000 pounds of water at 0°C in 24 hours.
- ▪ a measure of capacity for various materials, especially 40 cubic feet of timber.
- 3. informal a large number or amount all of a sudden I had tons of friends that bag of yours weighs a ton