- a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength；a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood
- give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle)；(of a muscle or other bodily part) became stronger or firmer
noun: tone, plural noun: tones
verb: tone, 3rd person present: tones, gerund or present participle: toning, past tense: toned, past participle: toned
- 1. a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength:
they were speaking in hushed tones
the piano tone appears lacking in warmth
- 2. a modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood:
a firm tone of voice
- 3. a musical note or other sound used as a signal on a telephone or answering machine.
- 4. the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc.:
my friend and I lowered the tone with our oafish ways
there was a general tone of ill-concealed glee in the reporting
- 5. an atmosphere of respectability or class:
they don't feel he gives the place tone
- 6. a basic interval in classical Western music, equal to two semitones and separating, for example, the first and second notes of an ordinary scale (such as C and D, or E and F sharp); a major second:
the B flat clarinet's part is written one tone higher than the pitch required
- 7. the particular quality of brightness, deepness, or hue of a shade of a colour:
stained glass in vivid tones of red and blue
an attractive colour which is even in tone and texture
- 8. the general effect of colour or of light and shade in a picture.
- 9. a slight degree of difference in the intensity of a colour.
- 10. (in some languages, such as Chinese) a particular pitch pattern on a syllable used to make semantic distinctions.
- 11. (in some languages, such as English) intonation on a word or phrase used to add functional meaning.
- 12. the normal level of firmness or slight contraction in a resting muscle:
a reduction of muscle tone
a certain amount of daily exercise is essential to maintain proper body tone and function
- 13. the normal level of activity in a nerve fibre:
- 1. give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle):
exercise tones up the muscles
- 2. (of a muscle or other bodily part) became stronger or firmer:
his leg muscles had toned up
- 3. harmonize with (something) in terms of colour:
the rich orange colour of the wood tones beautifully with the yellow roses
- 4. give (a monochrome picture) an altered colour in finishing by means of a chemical solution:
it's a good idea to sepia tone the whole print first
tone n. 1. [C] sound, especially with reference to ...音質 Ex.1. The ringing tones of an orator's voice 演說者宏亮的聲音....1.a picture in warm, dull, bright, etc tones 暖色調的、暗淡的、明亮的... 畫兒...
register tone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics) tone在語言學中分為兩大類 Tones fall into two broad patterns.... In many register tone systems there is a default...
tone on tone 是用同一色調、印在同色材料上 ，使它有不同的光影效果 這裡有一個YouTube的tone on tone紙上浮雕教學 看了就懂了 她是用草綠色印在草綠色的紙上 然後鋪上...