- a person who plays a trumpet.；a cavalry or artillery soldier who gives signals with a trumpet.
noun: trumpeter, plural noun: trumpeters
- 1. a person who plays a trumpet.
- ▪ a cavalry or artillery soldier who gives signals with a trumpet.
- 2. a large gregarious ground-dwelling bird of tropical South American forests, with mainly black plumage and loud trumpeting and booming calls.
- 3. a pigeon of a domestic breed that makes a trumpet-like sound.
- 4. an edible marine fish with a spiny dorsal fin, found chiefly in cool Australasian waters and said to make a grunting or trumpeting sound when taken out of the water.
- a person who plays a trumpet.
Oxford American Dictionary