- form into a bent, curling, or distorted shape；form (something) into a particular shape by taking hold of one or both ends and turning them
- an act of turning something so that it moves in relation to something that remains stationary；an act of turning one's body or part of one's body
verb: twist, 3rd person present: twists, gerund or present participle: twisting, past tense: twisted, past participle: twisted
noun: twist, plural noun: twists
- 1. form into a bent, curling, or distorted shape a strip of metal is twisted to form a hollow tube her pretty features twisted into a fearsome expression 同義詞 crumple, crush, buckle, mangle, warp, ... 更多反義詞 straighten
- ▪ form (something) into a particular shape by taking hold of one or both ends and turning them she twisted her handkerchief into a knot 同義詞 wring, squeeze, knead
- ▪ turn or bend into a specified position or in a specified direction he grabbed the man and twisted his arm behind his back
- ▪ remove something by pulling and rotating it beets can be stored once the leaves have been twisted off
- ▪ move one's body so that the shoulders and hips are facing in different directions she twisted in her seat to look at the buildings 同義詞 turn (around), swivel (around), skew (around), spin (around), pivot, ... 更多
- ▪ move in a wriggling or writhing fashion he twisted himself free 同義詞 wriggle, writhe, squirm, worm, wiggle
- ▪ injure (a joint) by wrenching it he twisted his ankle trying to avoid his opponent's lunge 同義詞 sprain, wrench, turn, rick, crick
- ▪ distort or misrepresent the meaning of (words) they twisted my words and made a mockery of me 同義詞 distort, misrepresent, change, alter, pervert, ... 更多
- 2. cause to rotate around something that remains stationary; turn she twisted her ring around and around on her finger 同義詞 twiddle, adjust, turn, rotate, swivel
- ▪ wind around or through something I twisted a strand of hair around my finger 同義詞 wring, squeeze, knead, wind, twirl, ... 更多
- ▪ move or cause to move around each other; interlace she twisted her hands together nervously the machine twists together strands to make a double yarn 同義詞 intertwine, twine, entwine, interlace, weave, ... 更多
- ▪ make (something) by interlacing or winding strands together he could twist a rope strong enough to hold a mule 同義詞 intertwine, twine, entwine, interlace, weave, ... 更多
- ▪ take or have a winding course the road twisted through a dozen tiny villages 同義詞 wind, bend, curve, turn, meander, ... 更多
- 3. dance the twist.
- 4. British informal cheat; defraud.
- 1. an act of turning something so that it moves in relation to something that remains stationary the taps needed a single twist to turn them on 同義詞 turn, twirl, spin, rotation, roll
- ▪ an act of turning one's body or part of one's body with a sudden twist, she got away from him
- ▪ a dance with a twisting movement of the body, popular in the 1960s lets do the twist
- ▪ the extent of twisting of a rod or other object.
- ▪ force producing twisting; torque.
- ▪ forward motion combined with rotation about an axis. 同義詞 turn, twirl, spin, rotation, roll
- ▪ the rifling in the bore of a gun barrels with a 1:24 inch twist
- 2. a thing with a spiral shape a licorice twist 同義詞 ringlet, curl, corkscrew, coil, lock, ... 更多
- ▪ a curled piece of lemon peel used to flavor a drink she drank vodka and tonic with a twist of lemon
- 3. a distorted shape he had a cruel twist to his mouth 同義詞 contortion, contorted/distorted shape
- ▪ an unusual feature of a person's personality, typically an unhealthy one her lack of considerateness is a personality twist which could bring her problems 同義詞 quirk, idiosyncrasy, foible, eccentricity, peculiarity, ... 更多
- 4. a point at which something turns or bends the car negotiated the twists and turns of the mountain road 同義詞 bend, curve, turn, zigzag, loop, ... 更多
- ▪ an unexpected development of events it was soon time for the next twist of fate in his extraordinary career 同義詞 convolution, complication, complexity, intricacy, surprise, ... 更多
- ▪ a new treatment or outlook; a variation she takes conventional subjects and gives them a twist 同義詞 interpretation, slant, outlook, angle, approach, ... 更多
- 5. a fine strong thread consisting of twisted strands of cotton or silk.
- 6. British a drink consisting of two ingredients mixed together.
- 7. a carpet with a tightly curled pile.