- cruel and oppressive government or rule；a state under cruel and oppressive government.
noun: tyranny, plural noun: tyrannies
- 1. cruel and oppressive government or rule:
refugees fleeing tyranny and oppression
- 2. a state under cruel and oppressive government.
- 3. cruel, unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control:
the tyranny of her stepmother
the tyranny of the nine-to-five day
- 4. (especially in ancient Greece) rule by one who has absolute power without legal right.
the influence of distance on the course and outcomes of Australian and New Zealand historical events
Powered by Oxford Dictionary of English 3e
- n.cruel and oppressive government or rule:
- people who survive war and escape tyranny
the removal of the regime may be the end of a tyranny
Powered by New Oxford American Dictionary
... worst form of government, according to Plato, is tyranny. Tyrants become slaves to the worst part of themselves...
...in Canada once, the article I chose was THE TYRANNY OF THE CLOCK. it's a very good article, kind of long actually...
... one who bears this mark will come up in the shadows of a tyranny ;one with the beast.(這個one 與前一句的one是講同一個人嗎？)But in...