- make (someone) mentally unbalanced；deprive of stability; throw into disorder
verb: unhinge, 3rd person present: unhinges, gerund or present participle: unhinging, past tense: unhinged, past participle: unhinged
- 1. make (someone) mentally unbalanced the loneliness had nearly unhinged him
- ▪ deprive of stability; throw into disorder a chain of events unhinges the structure of his family
- 2. take (a door) off its hinges.
- make (someone) mentally unbalanced: the loneliness had nearly unhinged him
Oxford American Dictionary