- the state of being united or joined as a whole；the state of forming a complete and pleasing whole, especially in an artistic context
noun: unity, plural noun: unities
- 1. the state of being united or joined as a whole European unity their leaders called for unity between opposing factions 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the state of forming a complete and pleasing whole, especially in an artistic context the repeated phrase gives the piece unity and cohesion 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a thing forming a complex whole they speak of the three parts as a unity 同義詞 反義詞
- 2. the number one the slope of each dotted line is less than unity
- 3. in Aristotle's Poetics, each of the three dramatic principles requiring limitation of the supposed time of a drama to that occupied in acting it or to a single day (unity of time), use of one scene throughout (unity of place), and concentration on the development of a single plot (unity of action).