- a piece of fine material worn by women to protect or conceal the face；a piece of fabric forming part of a nun's headdress, resting on the head and shoulders.
- cover with a veil；cover, conceal, or disguise
verb: veil, 3rd person present: veils, gerund or present participle: veiling, past tense: veiled, past participle: veiled
noun: veil, plural noun: veils
- 1. a piece of fine material worn by women to protect or conceal the face a white bridal veil 同義詞
- ▪ a piece of fabric forming part of a nun's headdress, resting on the head and shoulders.
- ▪ (in Jewish antiquity) the piece of precious cloth separating the sanctuary from the body of the Temple or the Tabernacle.
- 2. a thing that serves to cover, conceal, or disguise a veil of mist and snow lay over the landscape the venture is shrouded in a veil of secrecy 同義詞
- 3. a membrane that is attached to the immature fruiting body of some toadstools and ruptures in the course of development, either (universal veil) enclosing the whole fruiting body or (partial veil) joining the edges of the cap to the stalk.
- 1. cover with a veil she veiled her face
- 2. cover, conceal, or disguise cold mists veiled the mountain peaks he wasn't able to veil his disappointment