- at right angles to a horizontal plane; in a direction, or having an alignment, such that the top is directly above the bottom；involving different levels or stages of a hierarchy or process.
- a vertical line or plane；an upright structure
noun: vertical, plural noun: verticals
- 1. at right angles to a horizontal plane; in a direction, or having an alignment, such that the top is directly above the bottom the vertical axis keep your back vertical
- 2. involving different levels or stages of a hierarchy or process.
- ▪ involving all the stages from the production to the sale of a class of goods we need more vertical cooperation between manufacturers and service providers
- ▪ (especially of the transmission of disease or genetic traits) passed from one generation to the next vertical transmission of the virus
- 3. relating to the crown of the head.
- 4. archaic denoting a point at the zenith or the highest point of something.
- 1. a vertical line or plane the columns incline several degrees away from the vertical
- 2. an upright structure we remodelled the opening with a simple lintel and unadorned verticals
- 3. the distance between the highest and lowest points of a ski area the resort claims a vertical of 2,100 metres