- an undergarment worn on the upper part of the body, typically having no sleeves.；a woman's sleeveless top
- confer or bestow (power, authority, property, etc.) on someone；give (someone) the legal right to power, property, etc.
noun: vest, plural noun: vests
verb: vest, 3rd person present: vests, gerund or present participle: vesting, past tense: vested, past participle: vested
- 1. an undergarment worn on the upper part of the body, typically having no sleeves.
- 2. a woman's sleeveless top:
she stepped out in a striped vest and skinny jeans with strappy black heels
Kim looked chic in her pink jeans and white vest top
- 3. a garment worn on the upper part of the body for a particular purpose:
a running vest
a bulletproof vest
- 4. a waistcoat or sleeveless jacket.
- 1. confer or bestow (power, authority, property, etc.) on someone:
executive power is vested in the President
- 2. give (someone) the legal right to power, property, etc.:
the local planning authorities are vested with powers to regulate land use and development
- 3. (of power, property, etc.) come into the possession of:
the bankrupt's property vests in his trustee
- 4. (of a chorister or member of the clergy) put on vestments:
he approaches the altar to vest for Mass
- 5. dress (someone):
the Speaker vested him with a rich purple robe