- the appearance of a divine or supernatural being；an official visit of inspection, especially one by a bishop to a church in his diocese.
noun: visitation, plural noun: visitations
- 1. the appearance of a divine or supernatural being visitations in the form of a child whimpering the blinding light signified a visitation from God 同義詞
- 2. an official visit of inspection, especially one by a bishop to a church in his diocese. 同義詞
- ▪ a pastoral or charitable visit, especially to the sick or poor a number of lay women devoted themselves to visitations of the sick
- ▪ informal an unwelcome or unduly protracted social visit boring visitations took up most of the afternoon
- 3. a divorced person's right to spend time with their children in the custody of a former spouse the mother was uncooperative with visitation a visitation schedule
- 4. US a gathering with the family of a deceased person before the funeral the visitation will be held today at the funeral home
- 5. a disaster or difficulty regarded as a divine punishment a visitation of the plague 同義詞 反義詞
- 6. the visit of the Virgin Mary to Elizabeth related in Luke 1:39–56.
- ▪ the festival commemorating the Visitation of the Virgin Mary, on 31 May (formerly 2 July).
- (in church use) an official visit of inspection, especially one by a bishop to a church in the ...
Oxford American Dictionary