- move one's hand to and fro in greeting or as a signal；move (one's hand or arm, or something held in one's hand) to and fro
- a long body of water curling into an arched form and breaking on the shore；a ridge of water between two depressions in open water
verb: wave, 3rd person present: waves, gerund or present participle: waving, past tense: waved, past participle: waved
noun: wave, plural noun: waves
- 1. move one's hand to and fro in greeting or as a signal he waved to me from the train 同義詞
- ▪ move (one's hand or arm, or something held in one's hand) to and fro he waved a sheaf of papers in the air 同義詞
- ▪ convey (a greeting or other message) by waving one's hand or something held in it we waved our farewells she waved him goodbye
- ▪ instruct (someone) to move in a particular direction by moving one's hand he waved her back
- 2. move to and fro with a swaying motion while remaining fixed to one point the flag waved in the wind 同義詞
- 3. style (hair) so that it curls slightly her hair had been carefully waved for the evening
- ▪ (of hair) grow with a slight curl she marvelled at the blueness of his eyes, how straight his nose was, the way his hair waved 同義詞
- 1. a long body of water curling into an arched form and breaking on the shore he was swept out to sea by a freak wave 同義詞
- ▪ a ridge of water between two depressions in open water gulls and cormorants bobbed on the waves
- ▪ a shape regarded as resembling a breaking wave a wave of treetops stretched to the horizon
- ▪ literary the sea.
- 2. a sudden occurrence of or increase in a phenomenon, feeling, or emotion its remarkable how one small gesture can create a wave of kindness fear came over me in waves 同義詞
- 3. a gesture or signal made by moving one's hand to and fro he gave a little wave and walked off 同義詞
- 4. a slightly curling lock of hair his hair was drying in unruly waves 同義詞
- ▪ a tendency to curl in a person's hair her hair has a slight natural wave 同義詞
- 5. a periodic disturbance of the particles of a substance which may be propagated without net movement of the particles, such as in the passage of undulating motion, heat, or sound. 同義詞
- ▪ a single curve in the course of a periodic disturbance of the particles of a substance.
- ▪ a periodic variation of an electromagnetic field in the propagation of light or other radiation through a medium or vacuum.